Intro

Intro

Body art is trendy with young people, but it’s actually been popular for a long time. Between your parents, your aunts and uncles, or your grandmothers and grandfathers, someone probably has a tattoo. People have been getting tattoos for thousands of years!

A tattoo is drawn with a needle and different colors of ink. It’s important to know exactly what you want your tattoo to look like, because the art will be permanent. It’s just as important to be sure you’ll want it forever and not regret it when you’re older. It’s a big decision to make, for sure.

Do Gary or Sara have a tattoo, and if not, do they want one? Find out what they think in today’s English lesson about body art.


Dialogue



Gary: Is it me, Sara, or are tattoos becoming popular?/

Sara_R: They are very, very trendy. That’s true. It’s funny… it’s a piece of art, and you’re using your body like a canvas.

Gary: Yeah. It’s permanent. That does not come off.

Sara_R: I think a lot of people regret getting a tattoo.

Gary: I don’t have any. And I’ve got to say, it actually scares me to think of putting something on my body that will be there forever. And it’s a phase of your life. Something that’s important at that time. But do I want that there forever?

Sara_R: I agree. Although, recently I learned that a friend of mine is going to learn how to become a tattoo artist, so I might get a tiny tattoo from my friend. It will serve as a reminder of our friendship.

Gary: That’s so cool!


Discussion

Gary doesn’t want a tattoo. After all, they are permanent, and he doesn’t want to regret getting one. Gary believes that a lot of people get tattoos because they’re trendy, but people might not think carefully about how they’ll have them forever!

Sara agrees that tattoos are very popular, and she’s not sure she wants one, either. However, a friend of Sara’s is learning how to tattoo people, so she’s thinking about getting a very small one. The tiny tattoo would be a symbol of their friendship.

Do you have any tattoos? Do you want one?


Grammar Point

Modal Verbs

Sara says, ”... I might get a tiny tattoo from my friend.” She uses a modal verb.

Modal verbs come before and modify the main verb in a sentence and help explain ideas like possibility, necessity, or obligation. Here are several modal verbs and their functions:

Might expresses uncertainty about the present or future, as in, “I might quit my job next month,” or, “It might be cold out, so bring a jacket.” Since Sara is uncertain about getting a tattoo, she uses might.

Can expresses ability or possibility, as in, “I can speak French and Spanish,” or, “Students can get cheaper tickets at the movies.” It also asks permissionor makes a request, as in, “Can you come over tonight?”

Should expresses obligation, as in, “I should study for my math test,” or probability, as in, “The package should arrive tomorrow, since I sent it last week.” It also gives advice, as in, “I think you should go out with Jesse.”

Must expresses necessity or obligation, as in, “I must go see my grandmother this weekend.” It also gives strong advice, as in, “You must quit smoking now that you’re pregnant.”

Which is correct, “Must I try your ice cream?” or, “Can I try your ice cream?”?