Are you a fan of Hello Kitty? This popular cat from Japan is everywhere. She’s on t-shirts, suitcases, pencils, stickers, and even cakes. Her fans are obsessed with her. They think she’s adorable! This international phenomenon started in 1974 as something for children. Later, older people became obsessed with this little, uplifting cat, too.

Other people don’t get it. Why pay extra money for a t-shirt with a cat on it? Many of these people think Hello Kitty is childish. It’s OK for a child to like her, but adults are too old to think she’s adorable. They’re convinced that Hello Kitty is just a way for companies to make lots of money. In 2014, Hello Kitty products earned billions of dollars.

Jordin and Marni have different opinions about Hello Kitty. Listen to today’s English lesson to learn why they agree to disagree about this international phenomenon.
-------------------------------------------------------

Dialogue

Marni: Hey, Jordin, check out my new Hello Kitty socks. Aren’t they adorable?
Jordin:  Yeah, those are really cute.
Marni:  You don’t sound convinced.
Jordin:  Um, I mean, I don’t know. They’re sort of childish, don’t you think?
Marni:  I’ve loved Hello Kitty since I was a child. She’s been around for a long time. I’m just obsessed with her. I just think she’s so cute. She’s a little cat with a bow, and it’s an international phenomenon. I’m not alone in this. People love Hello Kitty.
Jordin:  I just don’t really get it. It’s this pink cat, and you just put it on everything. What is so cool about that?
Marni:  Well, it’s cool because, you know, it’s a cat. I love it. It’s so sweet and it just makes me happy. What’s wrong with that?
Jordin:  I mean, nothing is wrong with that, I guess. I just think it’s kind of weird.
Marni:  Well, I find uplifting, and I think it’s really neat to have cats on everything. I’ve got a lot of Hello Kitty things.
Jordin:  OK, well, that’s cool for you. I think we’re just going to have to agree to disagree. 
Marni:  Maybe. I’m going to turn you into a Hello Kitty fan.
Jordin:  Good luck with that.


-------------------------------------
Discussion
Marni is a huge fan of Hello Kitty. Like many other people, she fell in love with Hello Kitty as a child. She’s an adult now, but she’s still obsessed. She thinks this little cat is uplifting, and she likes to collect things that have the cat’s face. Marni is happy to be a part of this international phenomenon, and she’s convinced that Hello Kitty is adorable.

Jordin doesn’t get it. Why do people think the cat is so cute? Jordin thinks the cat is childish. Marni wants Jordin to check out her new Hello Kitty socks, but Jordin is not very excited about them. In fact, she thinks it’s weird to put a cat’s face everywhere. Jordin and Marni agree to disagree on this topic for now. Marni hopes to make Jordin a Hello Kitty fan in the future.

Do you think Hello Kitty is adorable? Or do you think she’s childish?
------------------------------------------------
Grammar Point
Present Perfect Tense

Marni is obsessed with Hello Kitty. She says, “I‘ve loved Hello Kitty since I was a child.” Marni uses the present perfect tense.

The present perfect tense is formed with have/has + a past participle. There are several situations in which we use this tense:

To talk about something that was true in the past and is still true in the present, as in Marni’s sentence, “I have loved Hello Kitty since I was a child.”

To talk about something that happened at an unspecified time in the past, as in, “Becky has visited China several times already.”

To talk about something that happened during a period of time that has not yet ended, as in, “I have gone to three parties so far this month.”

When used with “just,” to talk about something that happened very recently, as in, “My mother has just arrived.”

To ask someone if they have gone somewhere and returned or if they have done something, as in, “Have you been to the new restaurant?” In this case, it is formed with have/has + subject + a past participle.

When you see words like for, since, ever, already, and so far in a sentence, it often means that you need to use the present perfect tense.

Which is correct, “I have just quitted my job,” or “I have just quit my job”?

From <http://www.englishbaby.com/popbox/daily_lesson>


Vocab

fan n.
Definition
someone who likes a particular thing a lot; supporter of a team, artist, etc.
Example
I’m not a big Poison fan, but I’ll go to the concert with you.
I’m a Seattle Mariners fan. They’re definitely my favorite baseball team.
I’ve always been an Ozzy Osbourne fan, even before he was on TV.
I am a big Wham fan and have been listening to their albums since I was a child.
I have been a fan of heavy metal music since I was a young boy.
obsessed adj.
Definition
thinking about something all the time
Example
My sister is obsessed with boy bands. She doesn’t listen to anything else.
adorable adj.
Definition
really cute
Example
My kitten is so adorable.
uplifting adj.
Definition
inspiring; positive
Example
It was uplifting to see the leaders of two nations at war shake hands.
get it v.
Definition
understand
Example
Oh, now I get it. In English, the subject comes before the verb.
Don’t you get it? He’s just doesn’t like you.
I don’t get it. Why would Dale move to Alaska?
childish adj.
Definition
immature, like a child
Example
Harold is really childish when it comes to competition. He cries and yells if he loses.
convinced adj.
Definition
sure; believing in something or someone
Example
I’m not convinced that Angelina Jolie is a good actress. Everyone says she is, but I’m not sure.
agree to disagree expr.
Definition
remain friendly even when two people disagree on something that causes an argument
Example
Sometimes it’s better to just agree to disagree than to argue all day.
international phenomenon expr.
Definition
something very popular in many countries; something that has gone viral
Example
In 2012, the Korean artist Psy became an international phenomenon with his hit song “Gangam Style”.
check out v.
Definition
look at
Example
Check out this ball I found in the street. It’s brand new!